Friday, June 12, 2009

Incoming...

There are, if we wish, lots of reasons to worry about the future of the church, the UCC and the Wisconsin Conference in particular. There are reasons for despair and the wringing of hands (as opposed, I suppose, to the ringing of hand bells) and living in fear more than faith. But the quality and extent of life experiences, education, dedication and commitment present in the pastors new to our Conference is not a reason to for such anxiety. The era of college-seminary-church as the most traveled path is over, and we are blessed.
And slowly some of us who have toiled long in the vineyard and know with sinful certainty exactly how the Spirit calls people into ministry are…well, ‘resistive’ might be the most charitable term. May we be liberated.

On a personal note, I would like to say that earlier in my ministry I knew Todd Smith Lippert as a sprout. He didn’t seem as weird as a child…but then his dad… One of the delights of my life is seeing young people like Todd whom I knew in Iowa, like A.J. Smith whom I knew (also as a sprout) in Saukville, finding joy and meaning in the life of the church. I can’t believe I’m this old…

No comments:

Post a Comment